Solved

Receive and Put Away Against a Purchase Order

Userlevel 2

Hello,

My company will be receiving purchased inventory directly to the warehouse, and storing it from there. The warehouse team will be using scanners to automate the process, and they are equipped with PO Receivers we’ve provided to them (With barcodes for both PO and Inventory Items), and Location Barcodes.

What we’d like to happen is they remotely use the Receive and Put Away function to create a purchase receipt (with auto generated serials) against against the PO for the corresponding inventory that they are receiving. It should be simple, however I cannot get the Receive and Put Away function to accept a purchase order number/barcode. It only asks for a purchase receipt, which defeats the purpose as the warehouse team is the first to receive it.

Am I missing something? Any help provided would be greatly appreciated!!!

icon

Best answer by Julia Golomidova 7 July 2022, 15:12

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hello @basnightl,

The system allows to scan either purchase order or purchase receipt number on the Receive and Put Away form:

Refer to the Receiving and Putting Away Operations: General Information help page for more information.

I also tested scanning a PO number on the Receive and Put Away form with the SalesDemo data on 21.106 build version and as a result, the system generated a PO Receipt document after scanning a PO ref nbr:

It’s also mentioned, that you are scanning serial-tracked items, please, take a look at the How to resolve errors when receiving serialized items on the Receive and Put Away form KB article, that can be useful.

If this doesn’t help, please, include a screenshot with the error received upon scanning a PO on the Receive and Put Away form.

Userlevel 2

@Julia Golomidova 

I can see that your system generates a distinguishing ‘PO’ at the beginning and that may be the difference. Our PO and Receipts generate sequential 6-digit reference numbers, so they’re formatted the same. Whenever I put the PO number in or scan the PO barcode, the system automatically refers to the Receipts. We’ve already began processing transactions with these numbering schemes, and I see no way to help the system choose which to pull from. You can see in the example below I’d like to scan the the PO 000009, but the system will only reference the released Receipt 000009.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@basnightl thanks for the screenshots and additional details.

In fact, if the numbering sequence is the same for purchase orders and PO receipts, there's nothing like PO or PR to distinguish them from one another. As a result, in case there are PO and PO Receipt documents with the same number, upon scanning a number on the Receive and Put Away form, the system firstly checks PO Receipt documents.

In order to avoid this confusion, you may consider changing the numbering sequence either for purchase orders or purchase receipts.

Userlevel 2

@Julia Golomidova I believe you’re correct. We’ll just have to change the numbering sequence. Thanks so much for your help!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Sorry, but this is just another example of giving customers a loaded gun, and then being surprised when they shoot themselves. Why not make it so that the default config out of the box doesn’t create this problem?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Thanks for your valuable comment, @rosenjon!

@Dana Moffat, please, take a look at the described scenario.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello there,

The use of a Prefix in the numbering scheme would help with the situation that you posted about.  

From the Use Of Numbering Sequences help, so you can see how the system manages the number assignment:

“A numbering sequence may have numbers that start with a prefix, an alphanumeric string that ends in an alphabetic character. The system automatically detects a prefix in the start number when alphabetic characters are used. If a prefix is used, auto-numbering is applied to only the rightmost numeric positions. The same prefix must be used for the start, warning, and end numbers.”

We will definitely consider the feedback that i’m reading here, that this prefix should be part of a standard implementation.  Perhaps others on the thread, would like to add their thoughts.  A prefix, as you see can be language dependent - PO, PR → so i see that as being a reason why it may not be offered out-of-the-box. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Dana Moffat -

I think there may be a number of different ways to solve the problem. For example, you could have a toggle on the “Receive and Putaway” functionality that lets you specify whether you are scanning a Purchase Order or Purchase Receipt. Or you could have the system prompt the user in the event of an ambiguity.

Or, if you started Purchase Orders at 1000, and started Purchase Receipts at 50000, the likelihood that they ever intersect is probably pretty low, since one sort of necessitates the other.

There are lots of ways to deal with it I think...

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@rosenjon, @basnightl 

I have created an idea to improve the functionality with scanning POs and PO Receipts:

Please, vote for this idea and leave your feedback there and then @Dana Moffat will review it for further enhancement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Receive Putaway WMS used to allow you to barcode read the PO number and it would create a receipt for you automatically.  However, now it appears to no longer provide this functionality.  Can anyone else confirm the same behavior?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@DavidEichner please indicate which release/version that you are testing this functionality on?

I just tested on Version 22.052.0 (2788) on ERP mobile client application for iOS scanning a barcode (using an online barcode generator that i scanned from) and the receipt was able to be created automatically against the PO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Its working for me now.  Weird.  For some reason, it was not working yesterday.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved