Solved

How do create Sale Order Credit Memo without affecting the stock?

Userlevel 4
Badge

HI All,

I have read the help topic from Acumatica system and read Processing Return for Credit Without Receipt (below link) mention “return without receipt and shipment’.

https://aneximports.acumatica.com/(W(44))/Help?CompanyID=Anex+Select+Imports+Ltd.&ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=7251c08c-2dc9-4c25-9193-6bb81568e541

I read through the whole document and the only suggestion is to turn off “Automatically Release IN Documents” in Sales Orders Preferences so it don’t issue automatically. This is a very tedious solution as I understand it as for all Sales Orders will now need to manually be issue, which will cause a lot more work then just do a credit memo then adjust the items that were return by the CM. 

Does anyone have a better way to solve this issue? I need to create Credit Memo that show the stock items while not return them back to the system. The old system I used would ask me if I want to return item back to stock which was a nice feature, and I am surprise Acumatica don’t have something like this (All the return options seems to return item back to stock). 

Kind regards,

Calvin

icon

Best answer by Jeff96 26 May 2022, 19:13

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Calvin 

Unfortunately what you found is the correct way to handle this. Once you refund the customer, the system will still create an Issue for that. There is no way in the system to do a refund without a stock item attached to it and being brought back into the system. 

The way I could see around this is to create a Credit memo from the AR module with no Stock item on it. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @kbeatty21,

The issue I have with AR Module Credit Memo is that you are not able to input Stock Item in the detail field. It only provide Non Stock Item. I need to put in Stock item as customer will claim defects from multiple invoices and it would not make sense to create 10 credit memos for 10 items from 10 different invoices. 

Is there a way to setup AR Module Credit Memo to allow Stock Item to be input?

Thank you,

Calvin

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Calvin 

You can not set it up to allow Stock items in the AR module. 

What is the business logic behind not wanting to put the stock back in the system?

You can always put it back in and then adjust it out from the Inventory module. Again, it is extra steps though. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @kbeatty21,

The logic is that the returns are defects and are not saleable. We do not want to return the item back to stock and then adjust it, which is currently what we are doing. I suppose Acumatica just does not have this function at the current version. I do hope they can add the option so we can decide what goes back to stock and what does not. 

Thank you,

Calvin 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @kbeatty21,

The logic is that the returns are defects and are not saleable. We do not want to return the item back to stock and then adjust it, which is currently what we are doing. I suppose Acumatica just does not have this function at the current version. I do hope they can add the option so we can decide what goes back to stock and what does not. 

Thank you,

Calvin 

Unfortunately it does not. I understand now why you are looking for that. 

You can always submit an idea to Acumatica for it. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @kbeatty21,

I will definitely submit the idea as I do see a few topic threads on this when I was looking for option. 

Kind regards,

Calvin

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @kbeatty21,

Thank you,

Calvin 

I created a virtual warehouse called “damaged” and return it there. This allows you to return it without affecting the real stock. You can go once a month to adjust everything in that warehouse. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Jeff96,

That is a good idea in lieu of the option to adjust it per transaction. I will look into how to incorporate this idea into our operations. 

Thank you very much!

Calvin

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @kbeatty21,

Thank you,

Calvin 

I created a virtual warehouse called “damaged” and return it there. This allows you to return it without affecting the real stock. You can go once a month to adjust everything in that warehouse. 

Hi @Jeff96 

This is a great suggestion as well! 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi all,

I might have found a way to create Order Type that does not return item back to stock. 

In Order Types, choose an order type. Under Operations, update Inventory Transaction Type to “No Update”. Se below Screen Shot:

I made a test credit memo for today Jun 6 and check the Transaction History for the item. It did not return anything while the credit memo successfully created. 

*DISCLAIMER: I am not sure if this will affect Accounting or Posting in a bad way. Based on my test it seems to work ok. 

Please let me know if this work or if there is any issue with it. 
Calvin 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi all,

I might have found a way to create Order Type that does not return item back to stock. 

In Order Types, choose an order type. Under Operations, update Inventory Transaction Type to “No Update”. Se below Screen Shot:

I made a test credit memo for today Jun 6 and check the Transaction History for the item. It did not return anything while the credit memo successfully created. 

*DISCLAIMER: I am not sure if this will affect Accounting or Posting in a bad way. Based on my test it seems to work ok. 

Please let me know if this work or if there is any issue with it. 
Calvin 

You may want to check if it shows up in the history for the item, to track how many returns you had on this item. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Jeff96,

Thank you for the idea. 

It does not show up on the Inventory Transaction History as there is no issue in or out for the item. I am looking to create a report to track these transaction separately as my company wants to know the defect rate for the items. 
If you have any idea on how to do that please do share!

Thank you,

Calvin

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Calvin check if you have a GI for returns and if it shows there. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Jeff96,

It does posted against 5100 Sales account, which is what my company use. Please see below screen shot. 

I think everything works fine in this sense?

Calvin

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Seems good!

Not sure if I am off base here but the function of Cancel and Correct Invoice does not affect Stock and only affects Revenue.    The Correct Invoice is Actions drop down in SO Invoice with automatically create a Credit Memo and also create a New Invoice.  This helps if you need to correct Pricing, tax, freight but not affect stock.   

https://help-2022r1.acumatica.com/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=0e8aa085-4737-4b3f-9c94-2d2e7113bb2a

Just note that if you peform this for an invoice in a past period only Revenue PTD would be updated and not COGS PTD.   

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved