Solved

Secure my customization project

• 28 October 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

How can i secure my customization project ?
can’t be consulted or modified or downloaded by other partner 

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by tkuhns 5 November 2020, 17:37

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @SadokHanini,

We can secure a customization project by giving the Roles to specific users.

I have tested this in my local instance by creating a user without Customizer Role. When this user trying access the customization project, it will show an error attached in the screenshot.

This might be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Naveen B

Userlevel 2

Hi @SadokHanini,

We can secure a customization project by giving the Roles to specific users.

I have tested this in my local instance by creating a user without Customizer Role. When this user trying access the customization project, it will show an error attached in the screenshot.

This might be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Naveen B

I work with other partner with the same client, so we deploy the projects on the same plateform with the same user (user with Customizer Role)
So how can i secure my projects so the other partner cannot have access ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @SadokHanini,

As per my knowledge, I think restriction is NOT possible as user logins are the same. 

We should have some unique thing to restrict the access, I’m assuming this may achieve through the IP address/location but I don’t know this can be done.

if possible, you may do one thing that, remove the roles for this user and create a new user account with limited access and share it with them.

Best Regards,

Naveen B

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Moving the source code to an extension library (DLL) would make it inaccessible in its original form.

Reference:

Code in DAC and Code items Code in an Extension Library
Intellectual property protection: No—the source code is open in the deployment package Yes—the source code is not provided in the deployment package

https://help-2020r1.acumatica.com/Wiki/ShowWiki.aspx?pageid=6eef9fa0-ab15-4c9f-8376-3c4f1b4118a4

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@SadokHanini: short answer -- you can’t. Nothing will provide complete protection, code that is stored on your machine or a server that you have access to can always be decompiled or reverse engineered. You can however take some steps to make this task harder. I would consider putting the proprietary logic in a class library (DLL), and use an obfuscation tool such as Dotfuscator.to keep prying eyes away from your tool

I also recommend reading this article on StackOverflow: How effective is obfuscation? for an in-depth debate on that topic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@SadokHanini,

Yes, we can protect our source code by obfuscating the DLL as suggested by Gabriel above, but still, we open the customization project to access the other stuff.

I have a Confuser setup file to obfuscate the DLL’s and I have obfuscated DLL and attached screenshots for your reference.

Userlevel 1

@SadokHanini,

Depending on the size or number of customizations being created, you might consider creating a license key concept where the customers installation id is verified from the class library (DLL).

From a legal aspect, you might consider getting signed agreement stating you own the IP and the customization is only usable for the specific customer’s instance.  The customer does not have right to resale or provide the customization to another party without written consent.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved