Solved

Running EXE with parameters from Acumatica

• 30 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I need help in trying to execute an executable with parameters from my acumatica application.

Best regards.

icon

Best answer by Hughes Beausejour 30 March 2021, 17:30

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@mohamed1walha  Could you please provide more details on the above requirement. 

Userlevel 2

Hello @Naveen B , I want to run external application (EXE), from customization project acumatica code and send parameters to EXE.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Does the external executable have a UI? Is it a console program? Is Acumatica website self-hosted or hosted on Acumatica SaaS platform?

Userlevel 2

Thank you @Hughes Beausejour .

I want to run a Windows Forms application from screen acumatica. My Windows Forms application is hosted in my local server and the Acumatica website is hosted on Acumatica SaaS platform.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

There’s a difference between having the browser open the executable from Acumatica webpage and having Acumatica server run the application (without using the browser, without direct user intervention).

It is quite easy to open an external application from the browser. You just need to associate a file type with an application in windows (example: docx files opened by Word application, .xlsx files opened by Excel..): Change default programs in Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

In Acumatica webpage you can throw a file redirection exception to open the app.

It is also possible to launch an external app with a custom URI scheme handler.

This is the method used for url like ‘mailto:email@address.com’ that opens a windows email client:
windows - URI scheme launching - Stack Overflow

It is a very different scenario to have Acumatica server application directly execute a remote executable located on a different network. Acumatica server application runs on ASP platform and ASP doesn’t allow such remote code execution. That would be a major security concern if it were possible. If you need to communicate directly from Acumatica server application to a remote network we recommend to build an external web service that can be called from Acumatica.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved