Solved

How to get started with customizations

• 16 April 2021
  • 7 replies

I am new to Acumatica and our company is a customer.  I’m an experienced developer but I’m having trouble getting started with Acumatica customizations.  It doesn’t seem that our var has much experience with customizations so they have not been able to help me get my system setup correctly.  From what I’ve researched it seems that I must have a local instance of Acumatica installed on my local machine and that the database used in customizations has to be created using the Acumatica Framework Configuration Wizard.  We had previously setup a database and web site for development through Azure but I’m not seeing a way to use those now.  If someone can help me understand exactly what I need to do to get started with customizations it would be a great help.  

This is what I think I need to do:

1. Install Acumatica ERP on my local machine
  2. Deploy Acumatica Framework Tools
  3. Deploy New Instance of Acumatica Application Template or should I use the Deploy New Application Instance for Training Course?

Any guidance would help a lot.

icon

Best answer by Hughes Beausejour 16 April 2021, 19:53

• From what I’ve researched it seems that I must have a local instance of Acumatica installed on my local machine .

- This is not exact, all you need is a user login to the website which has the Customizer access rights. This right is required to open the Customization page in the website which is all that is required to create runtime customization.

• Deploy Acumatica Framework Tools and Deploy New Instance of Acumatica Application Template or should I use the Deploy New Application Instance for Training Course?

- The Framework Tools / Visual Studio Templates are pretty much deprecated and are not  necessary to create Acumatica customization. They are only optional extensions for the ASPX visual editor.
View original

7 replies

Here’s what I would do:

1. Create a local installation of SQL Server on the local machine.  You can get a developer edition at no cost.
  2. You will need to have a local instance of IIS installed as well.  The installation guide provides the guidance on configuring IIS for Acumatica.  There are quite a few settings that need to be correct for it to work correctly.
  3. Install Acumatica ERP and ensure you check the “debug” option when installing.  You do not need to install the Framework separately.  If you can get a snapshot of the customer’s instance, there is a way to “pull” that data into your installation.  I can give you guidance on that if you need it.  I highly recommend that if you do need to have your customer’s data on your local implementation that you do NOT install sample data and then try to load a snapshot after the fact.  It causes unusual data to be filled into the database (in my experience it does anyway).
  4. IF you don’t need actual customer data/setup to do your customization, you can select to install the Sales Demo data.  The only reason to do what I suggest in step 3 is if there is some configuration in the customer’s implementation which would take a lot of effort to duplicate locally.

Really pay close attention to the installation/setup guide.  If you miss a step, it can cause you to have to start over the entire process.  Once you have ERP installed as a web site linked to a SQL server instance, it is really hard (impossible for me) to make configuration changes to the site and the SQL server and get it run.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @vpoulson,

As you are new to Acumatica and to work with customizations, below are certifications we need to get the basic knowledge on customization.

• Install the Acumatica Setup, you can get the specific version and build from this site - http://builds.acumatica.com/
  • Setup the new Instance through the Configuration wizard. - This document will help you a lot - https://openuni.acumatica.com/pdf/S100_Installation_and_Site_Management(V4.20).pdf
  • Add the Acumatica templates in the below path (Attached all the Acumatica templates here) - Path: C:\Users\[username]\Documents\[VS Version]\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual C# 
  •  To work with customizations, you need to do the Application Developer courses. T100, T200, T300 and etc. from the Acumatica Portal. - portal.acumatica.com

Userlevel 4
  • From what I’ve researched it seems that I must have a local instance of Acumatica installed on my local machine .

- This is not exact, all you need is a user login to the website which has the Customizer access rights. This right is required to open the Customization page in the website which is all that is required to create runtime customization.

• Deploy Acumatica Framework Tools and Deploy New Instance of Acumatica Application Template or should I use the Deploy New Application Instance for Training Course?

- The Framework Tools / Visual Studio Templates are pretty much deprecated and are not  necessary to create Acumatica customization. They are only optional extensions for the ASPX visual editor.

Thanks for the information.   If I don’t need the Framework Tools or VS Templates then how do I add the references to things like PX.Common or PX.Data?  Can I do that from the Customization Project Editor and then click the Move To Extension Lib button?

Userlevel 4

Move to extension lib creates a visual studio project. When working on a runtime customization you don’t need a visual studio project.

The PX assembly references are already loaded in the process memory so you don’t need to do anything. Just add code files in Code section and publish the customization. The next time any Acumatica page is opened it will compile the runtime customization.

If you have third party assembly (not from Microsoft or Acumatica) you can add the DLL in the Files section. Those reference are also loaded automatically.

That makes sense.Since I just want to create a webhook then I should be able to do all of that in the code editor?  If I need to debug the code would I then need to use a visual studio project or is there a way to do that in the code editor?

Userlevel 4

You don’t need a visual studio project to debug the code but you need to be able to open the website in visual studio (menu File->Open Website).

The setup for remote debugging is not practical:

Remote debug ASP.NET on an IIS computer - Visual Studio | Microsoft Docs

Installing Acumatica locally is more practical for large projects. I don’t think you’ll need it for simple tasks. Not sure what webhook implies, you’ll need to test it out. Customizing fields and screen don’t need a local instance, webhook can be different.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2020  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved