Question

Microsoft Office 365 marking ACM batch emails as spam

Has anyone had the issue of Microsoft 365 marking emails as spam when send batched of email such as invoices?

Our customer has been trying to resolve this with Microsoft.  I only see on community idea in this topic to try to send CRM marketing emails in smaller bathes.

Has anyone been able to resolve this?

Dale Simmerly

CAL Business Solutions

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Apologies if this isn’t exactly the answer to your question, but in my opinion, for transactional email sending like this, you are way better off using a service like Mailgun: https://www.mailgun.com/

They do charge by sending volume rather than fixed fee, but it is generally reasonable assuming you aren’t sending 10 million+ emails a month. It will give you way better reporting on bounces and other sending issues. You will also avoid stuff like this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/office-365-security/outbound-spam-controls?view=o365-worldwide

Make sure you implement DKIM and SPF with Mailgun (I think they force you to). Then you shouldn’t have any of these problems. You can also configure an unlimited number of sending emails for the same domain with no additional charge, versus having to pay per account with other services like Exchange 365. It is also way easier to track what happened to your mail with a service like Mailgun (you will see very specific logs of every delivery event for every email, and can program webhooks to act on certain success or failure events).

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello Dale!

We have seen something like this with an O365 customer.  They were using the Mass Emails feature to send price change letters to their customers, but guessing the specific Acumatica source doesn’t matter from 365’s perspective.

We found this happened even though they were below the MS limits shown here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/exchange-online-service-description/exchange-online-limits#receiving-and-sending-limits

For now we’re debating doing a mail merge outside of Acumatica, or trying the SendGrid integration. Neither sounds like a great solution for your invoicing need.

Interested if others here have run into this, and how they solved it.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @dales50 were you able to resolve your issue? Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi.  We had this occur today with one of our customers when sending EFT payment notifications from their AP Payment Batch.  Is there anything specific to do within the email template or something similar to prevent the account from being blocked in the future?

Does someone already have a problem with a report that the system sends to the vendor on the EFT process?
For example, in my case, the system sent one report for all vendors, and all vendors could see all the payments.
What do I need to do to correct it in this case?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

In your Business event:

• Event should raise event for each record (i.e. for each new individual payment that is released)
  • Are you populating a restriction into the report from the inquiry based on the payment # and/or Customer?  The parameters sent to the notification template should include the payment ID so that you are only sending 1 payment notice at a time
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

My experience with Office 365 and mass emails is that Microsoft has automated systems in place that will freeze your account if more than a certain number of emails are sent in the same day.  Usually it is around 600 - 800 emails.  My old firm got around the issue when sending mass emails by setting up an Office 365 account like marketing00001@xxxxx.com and using it until Microsoft froze the account.  We then stopped the mass emailing, deleted that marketing00001@xxxxx.com email account, created a new email account marketing00002@xxxxx.com , changed the system email account to use the new account and continued on again until Microsoft froze the account again (and then repeat).  Eventually, we got tired of that and switched to using SendGrid once the SendGrid integration came out in 2022R2.

Best,

David Eichner, CPA

In your Business event:

• Event should raise event for each record (i.e. for each new individual payment that is released)
  • Are you populating a restriction into the report from the inquiry based on the payment # and/or Customer?  The parameters sent to the notification template should include the payment ID so that you are only sending 1 payment notice at a time

Hi Megan, thank you for your contact! Could you tell me, please, what I need to do to insert this restriction?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@emircalaido66 I think this is what you’re looking for:Emailing Vendor Remittances for AP ACH Payments in Acumatica | Martin and Associates. Sorry, I have not set this up myself in the past, so I can’t vouch for these instructions, but I did a quick skim and they look reasonable.

With regards to batch emailing documents like this, I’ll put in another plug for Mailgun (or Sendgrid...choose your bulk mailer of choice). I like Mailgun because they have a Routes feature that lets you automate what happens when people reply to your emails. So for example, we use the subdomain mg.ourdomain.com (mg stands for mailgun) to send all our invoices, quotes, etc. This allows us to have a totally different configuration than our user email. We then have a Route in Mailgun, that deals with any replies that might occur to invoice/bulk mail type emails, and routes it back to the appropriate department (so if an email comes from ap@mg.ourdomain.com, then if someone replies, it is automatically routed by Mailgun back to ap@ourdomain.com. With bulk mail of this kind, it’s very useful to have a log of what happened with your messages that isn’t stuck in a user email box. We can see any bounces or issues with the bulk mail in a central place, and it allows IT to tune our mail system to remove ourselves from spam lists, etc if we see bounces (we had to do a lot of this when we first setup Mailgun, because the old system that relied on user mail to send these emails had gotten itself blacklisted in a lot of different places).

This allows you to avoid all the issues with normal user email on the way out described above, but also maintain the ability to receive replies to email in a normal way.

@emircalaido66 I think this is what you’re looking for:Emailing Vendor Remittances for AP ACH Payments in Acumatica | Martin and Associates. Sorry, I have not set this up myself in the past, so I can’t vouch for these instructions, but I did a quick skim and they look reasonable.

With regards to batch emailing documents like this, I’ll put in another plug for Mailgun (or Sendgrid...choose your bulk mailer of choice). I like Mailgun because they have a Routes feature that lets you automate what happens when people reply to your emails. So for example, we use the subdomain mg.ourdomain.com (mg stands for mailgun) to send all our invoices, quotes, etc. This allows us to have a totally different configuration than our user email. We then have a Route in Mailgun, that deals with any replies that might occur to invoice/bulk mail type emails, and routes it back to the appropriate department (so if an email comes from ap@mg.ourdomain.com, then if someone replies, it is automatically routed by Mailgun back to ap@ourdomain.com. With bulk mail of this kind, it’s very useful to have a log of what happened with your messages that isn’t stuck in a user email box. We can see any bounces or issues with the bulk mail in a central place, and it allows IT to tune our mail system to remove ourselves from spam lists, etc if we see bounces (we had to do a lot of this when we first setup Mailgun, because the old system that relied on user mail to send these emails had gotten itself blacklisted in a lot of different places).

This allows you to avoid all the issues with normal user email on the way out described above, but also maintain the ability to receive replies to email in a normal way.

Thank you very much rosenjon, I will work on it right now. I also thank you for your tip!! As soon as I finish I will insert a comment!!

Thank you very much rosenjon, I will work on it right now. I also thank you for your tip!! As soon as I finish I will insert a comment!!

I am working in this version Build 22.109.0023 Customization and I can't find the screen about Automation Notifications, I don't no why.

I am working in this version Build 22.109.0023 Customization and I can't find the screen about Automation Notifications, I don't no why.

Is there some setup that I need to mark?

Is there some setup that I need to mark?

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @emircalaido66  were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved